So, to go along with the poppers, I decided to try something new with a new type of pepper. We found sweet Italian peppers the other day when we went shopping. I had never seen these peppers before and actually had to ask what you made with them. They look like a green pepper slightly; however, they are lighter in color and longer.
I was excited to try something new. I knew I wanted to keep in the vain of a popper, but wanted to use more than cheese. So, this is the recipe I came up with for these peppers.
Stuffed Sweet Italian Peppers
From the Busy Cookin' WV Momma
Sweet Italian Peppers (I used three for this recipe)
1 1/2 lb. hot sausage
1/2 onion, diced
About 3 oz of fresh mushrooms, diced
1/2 a block of cream cheese mixed with hot pepper cheese (see note at the bottom concerning this)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Rinse, dry, cap and clean out inside of peppers.
2. In a medium pan, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add diced onions and season with season salt.
3. When onions are close to done, add diced mushrooms and season with black pepper.
5. In same pan, add the sausage and brown.
6. Once beef is browned, slowly add in the cream cheese mixture.
8. Once cream cheese is incorporated, add back in the onion/mushroom mixture and heat for about five minutes.
9. Once sausage mixture is done, let set a couple of minutes to cool slightly.
10. With cooled mixture, stuff peppers.
11. Bake for 15 minutes at 375.
I really enjoyed these peppers. The onion/mushroom mixture just sets it off in my opinion. My men loved them. We all loved the sausage mixture just by itself.
I hope you enjoy!!
Love to you a from the
Busy Cookin' WV Momma