Today, I knew I wanted to due a baked cod. However, I wanted to try a new topping. So, off to the pantry I went to see what I could find. After finding my Bacon flavored Ritz crackers, I knew what I wanted to create. I was going to try my very first cracker crumb topping with added spices and cheese.
Oh yea? Did you just catch what I just said? Yes my friends, there are Bacon flavored Ritz out there. If you like bacon and if you like Ritz, then you need to try these crackers. So, good!!
Now, on to the recipe.
You will need:
A stick of butter
A sleeve of bacon flavored Ritz crackers
Grated Parmesan cheese (yes, the stuff in the green can)
Pat dry your fish and place in a prepared 9X13 baking pan. Set aside while you make the topping.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt your butter. Yes, the whole stick of butter. It will be ok, I promise.
Pour your crackers in a zip topped bag and crush them. This is the perfect time, my friends, to get your frustrations out if you have had a bad day.
Now, add the crumbs into the melted butter and mix well.
Now add in the cayenne pepper,
and Parmesan cheese.
Stir everything together well to make sure all ingredients are combined.
Now, using your hands, place crumb topping on the filets. Place the topping on the fish a little on the thick side.
Bake the topped fish for 20 minutes at 375 degrees or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
I served this baked cod with green beans and rice.
This was so good. The flavor from the crackers and added spices was amazing. I also got high praise from my son immediately upon his tasting the fish. So, I consider this recipe a WIN!!
I hope you enjoy!!
Love to you all from The Busy Cooking Momma
Baked Cod with Cheese Spice Crumb Topping
By The Busy Cooking Momma
2 lbs cod filets
1 stick butter
1 sleeve Bacon flavored Ritz crackers
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Pat each cod filet dry and place in a prepared 9X13 baking dish.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the stick of butter.
4. While the butter is melting, crush sleeve of crackers in a zip-top bag.
5. Add crumbs to melted butter and combine well.
6. Add Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and cayenne powder to crumb/butter mixture. Stir well.
7. Using your hands, coat each filet with the crumb mixture. Place on a little thick.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.